Scope of Work
Cianbro provided the construction, testing, and commissioning of a new 138 – 12 kV, 25 Hz, single-phase substation at the Ivy City Yard in Washington DC. The project included a five – mile long, 138 kV transmission line extension.
- Substation construction included:
- Installed 138 kV transmission line terminations and motor operated disconnect switches
- Installed traction power transformers
- Installed 12 kV disconnect switches and circuit breakers, cabling, and feeders
- Installed substation control building with relay control panels, auxiliary power, lighting, grounding, steel erection, wiring and terminations
- Erected 164 tons of structural steel provided by Cianbro Fabrication & Coating
- Performed site work including demolition, grading, drainage, utilities, and access road construction
- Transmission Line construction included:
- Drilled pole foundations
- Installed 66 new steel transmission line poles, transmission line conductors, static wire, insulators, jumpers, and terminations
- Removed and replaced existing transmission line conductors, static wire and all supporting assemblies
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
The project was on Amtrak’s Northeast Cooridor which is a live, heavily used route with trains traveling in both directions at speeds reaching 125 mph.