In 2020, Cianbro completed its first-ever 138kV BOLD® (Breakthrough Overhead Line Design) double circuit transmission line for American Electric Power (AEP). On the first day of the Sorenson-Deer Creek 138 kV BOLD® Transmission Line Rebuild Project, the team agreed that the path to a safe and successful outcome was through collaboration and effective communication, and it paid off. In September, Engineering News-Record (ENR) Midwest awarded Cianbro with the Best Project in the Specialty Construction category for this project.
The project covered 35 miles from Huntington to Marion, Indiana. The scope of work included:
- Installing, maintaining, and removing more than 35 miles of access roads, work pads, right-of-way (ROW), and environmental controls.
- Installing 215 steel BOLD® transmission structures on drilled concrete foundations, and 35 miles of double-circuit single conductor including shield and optical ground wire.
- Removing 199 steel lattice towers and 35 miles of existing conductor and shield wire.
This project's success has led to additional opportunities with AEP, including the Deer Creek-Wes Del 138kV BOLD® Transmission Line Project in Indiana, which began in July 2020 and includes approximately 20 miles of transmission line rebuild.
ENR’s annual awards program honors the best construction projects and the companies. ENR bases its award on how a project performs in the following areas:
- Overcoming challenges and teamwork
- Innovation and contribution to the industry/community
- Construction quality and craftsmanship
- Functionality of design and aesthetic quality
Congratulations to the Power & Energy team on this honor!