Since completing the $162 million Sarah Mildred Long (SML) Bridge Replacement in Kittery. Maine, Cianbro received two impressive awards for this project: one from the Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Maine and the other from the Post-Tensioning Institute (PTI).
In April 2019, Cianbro was one of only five construction companies to receive a Build Maine Award from AGC. The SML Bridge Replacement was recognized in the bridge division for its innovation, uniqueness, and complexity.
Immediately following the Build Maine Award, Cianbro received even more recognition in May when the SML Bridge Replacement received an Award of Excellence in the bridges category from PTI. This award is given to the top project in each category that demonstrates excellence in post-tensioning applications. Major evaluation factors included creativity, innovation, ingenuity, cost-effectiveness, functionality, constructability, and aesthetics.
Not only did we successfully construct a quality project worthy of recognition, but Cianbro’s own project team members were also deservedly recognized for their significant safety milestone achievements throughout the project. In particular, Cianbro Safety Manager, Mike Franck, received a Safety Leadership Award from the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Connecticut in 2017 for his outstanding leadership in ensuring a safe workplace.
- In excess of 20 subcontractors and 185 team members working simultaneously on site, the project was completed with more than 660,000 safe hours, only one recordable injury, and zero lost time incidents
- Nearly 500 Precast superstructure and lift tower segments were erected
- 92 lift tower segments were precast on site
- More than 40,000 cubic yards of concrete
- Nearly 8,000,000 pounds of rebar
- More than 300 miles of post-tensioning strand
- The majority of the work was performed off temporary work trestles and barges, including the erection of the tower segments