Scope of Work
Cianbro served as Construction Manager on a design-build renovation project for Abiomed, a leader in developing and manufacturing lifesaving, groundbreaking technologies including the world's smallest heart pump. The renovation scope included the building adjoining Abiomed's existing facility in Danvers, Massachusetts.
This was a multi-phase project complete with a cleanroom; training rooms; office and meeting space; commercial kitchen and café; new building façade; and updated exterior hardscapes. This renovated space will be used by Abiomed to grow the company and assemble devices designed to assist or replace the life-sustaining functions of a failing heart for patients and physicians worldwide.
- 23,000 square feet of engineering, office space, and conference areas
- 12,000 square feet of ISO 7 & 8 cleanroom and support areas intended for manufacturing the world’s smallest heart pump
- 15,000 square feet of interactive training suites adjoined by simulation labs and classrooms for demonstrations and seminars
- A call center for monitoring installed heart pumps in real time
- A 28,000-square-foot full-service kitchen, cafeteria, exterior patio plaza, and employee lounge to service current and future employee capacity
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
Cianbro was required to perform work in an abutting and adjoining operational building. As the continuous phased construction progressed and was completed, temporary protective measures were built between the new occupied areas and ongoing construction. Most of the adjoining areas tie into the building’s new mechanical equipment, which presented another challenge with Abiomed’s endless operations, engineering, and testing. Cianbro was required to work in an operating, high-tech manufacturing facility.
ABC Massachusetts Excellence in Construction Merit Award