Cianbro completed the construction of the fish lift for the Holyoke Gas & Electric Hadley Falls Dam in 2005. This work represents the final stage of the decade-long fish passage project.
Scope of Work
Cianbro fabricated and installed a new fish passage and hydro station exclusion rack system at the Hadley Falls Dam. The upstream work included the installation of fabricated structures in 40 feet of water with the assistance of a team of divers. The downstream work included construction of concrete training walls, deflector walls, and a large plunge pool.
- Upstream Work:
- Demolished existing transmission tower and trash rake system
- Fabricated and installed the bascule gate, exclusion rack, fish flume extension, low and mid-level bypass, removable upper bypass, underwater bulkhead, pier extension, overhead lifting frame and hoist, flow blocking panel, jib crane, and steel deck
- Installed a new trash rake system
- Drilled and installed five (5) 4-ft diameter drilled shafts, with 10-ft deep rock sockets
- Downstream Work:
- Demolished rock and concrete
- Drilled and grouted of shear anchors
- Constructed concrete training walls, deflector plate wall, and large 15-ft deep plunge pool
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
Challenges included working with daily variations of river levels and flow, constructing and removing a temporary construction trestle up river for loading of equipment and fabricated structures onto barges, constructing and maintaining the downstream sand bag cofferdam, and installing large fabrication structures in 40 feet of water to tight fit-up tolerances. Working seven days per week, Cianbro achieved the required milestone completion date, allowing the operation of the hydro station 47 days early.
ABC National Excellence in Construction Pyramid Award
ABC Massachusetts Excellence in Construction Award