Scope of Work
Cianbro removed the existing 34.5 kV sections 159, 192 and 193 and installed a new 34.5/115 kV single pole dual circuit (S159/S239) line. The new line is 6.4 miles long with 94 new structures. Additional work included the tie-in of existing 34.5kV sections S105, S106, S192 and S193 to the new Vallee Lane Substation.
- Cleared and trimmed 12.25 acres of timber and brush
- Provided, installed, maintained, and removed 6,000 each 4 feet x 16 feet x 8 inch environmental mats
- Removed 146 existing wood poles
- Removed 78,000 feet of existing conductor
- Installed 63 laminated wood pole structures ranging in length from 75 feet to 134 feet with 48 inch to 66 inch culvert foundations
- Installed 49 round wood pole structures ranging in length from 40 feet to 110 feet including 1, 2, and 3 pole structures
- Installed 6 steel pole structures with concrete foundations ranging in diameter from 7 feet to 9 feet and 13 feet to 47 feet deep
- Installed 421,000 feet of new conductor, shield wire, and fiber optic wire
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
The project crossed 3 major State routes (Route 1, 5 and 112), I-95, I-195, and several additional streets and roads. Unforeseen contaminated soil discovery necessitated a rapid and specialized response by Cianbro to comply with existing Environmental Regulations and maintain a critical outage schedule. A change in the outage schedule required re-sequencing phase 2 of the project, as well as, the modification and re-routing of existing line sections to allow for work to continue. Multiple critical outages were coordinated closely with the Owner to complete the Vallee Lane Substation tie-in work while maintaining service to customers in Old Orchard Beach. The work in and around Louden, Goosefare, and Vallee Lane Substation involved work in congested areas as well as close proximity to multiple energized lines of various voltages. As a result, precise project planning with a focus on safety and environmental controls ensured project success, team member safety, and 100% environmental compliance.