Scope of Work
Cianbro erected the Capital Wheel, a new landmark attraction at the dynamic National Harbor community near Washington, D.C. With 42 climate-controlled gondolas, the observation wheel soars 175 feet above the Potomac River, providing stunning views of the Washington Monument and the U.S. Capitol, as well as vistas of both the Maryland and Virginia sides of the river. Erected on a Cianbro-built concrete pier, the Capital Wheel includes 1.6 million fully-programmable LED lights.
- Furnished and installed:
- 24 ea. 1.375-inch-diameter high strength tension rods, grouted into the existing concrete piles and load tested to 192,000 pounds
- 10,000 square feet of steel decking
- 200 cubic yards of reinforced concrete deck and fascia wall
- 1,500 square feet of new floating dock, supported by 16-inch diameter steel guide piles
- Loading platform and informational kiosk, including all architectural finishes
- 1,100 linear feet of architectural stainless and aluminum handrail
- Fabricated, coated, and installed:
- 180 tons of galvanized steel for the wheel base structure
- The curved steel rafter canopy system
- 175-foot-diameter observation wheel, electrical and operator houses, and ticketing gondola
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
This project was constructed on a fast-track, five-month schedule. A keen focus on details, streamlined document management, and intense daily coordination amongst all team members was imperative. The project finished ahead of schedule and opened prior to Memorial Day weekend.