Scope of Work
The Cianbro/Middlesex Joint Venture Team constructed a new bascule bridge over the Taunton River, which spans over 1,000 feet and has 60 feet of clearance over the river. Cianbro self-performed all of the bridge electrical control systems.
- Installed 15 kV unit substation
- Installed all power and control distribution wiring
- Installed 13 submarine cables crossing a 330 feet channel
- Installed 4 ea. 480 volt Motor Control Centers
- Installed 4 DC Drive cabinets and associated controls
- Wired 8 ea. 75HP main span motors
- Furnished and installed complete bridge control system, console, and all associated components including drive motors, brake motors, auxiliary drive clutches, etc.
- Installed motor monitor console and annunciator console
- Installed three emergency generator systems (2 – 350 kw and 1 – 45 kw)
- Installed a complete fire alarm, CCTV, and paging system in each bascule
- Installed bridge navigation, fender and pier lighting
- Installed lightning protection system
- Installed bridge barrier gate, warning gate, and traffic lights
- Performed 10,000 terminations, each requiring megger testing
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
The average submarine cable length was in excess of 580 feet. Precise planning was required to install the continuous cable in each of the bascule structures, which consisted of 330 feet of channel crossing, and 250 feet of vertical rise.
ABC National Excellence in Construction Award
ABC Massachusetts Excellence in Construction Award
ENR New England Best Project