Scope of Work
Cianbro replaced the deteriorated, low-level, moveable MD Route 450 bridge over the Severn River with a high-level fixed bridge with a 75-foot vertical clearance.
- Constructed a new 2,835-foot long bridge with 17 steel box girder spans ranging in length from 112 feet to 315 feet
- Drove 50,500 linear feet of 16 inch and 30-inch diameter steel pipe pile
- Placed 14,200 cubic yards of concrete
- Designed and fabricated octagonal, tapered 65 feet long pier forms
- Demolished and removed most of the existing bridge—salvaging a portion of the east side as a fishing pier
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
Cianbro’s structural and marine team built 14 cofferdams in up to 40 feet of water and 100-foot depths of soft sediments, constructed a unique form system for piers, and conducted 750-ton load tests for the insertion of 30-inch pipe piles.
1996 ASCE Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award