“The resources Cianbro provided with skilled staff self-performing a wide variety of highly technical work was impressive. This included structural engineering and design of false-work which enabled Cianbro to cost effectively assemble and install equipment weighing as much as 175 tons into the existing building. Your production staff was able to perform heaving rigging, structural steel work, piping, instrumentation, painting, and quality control as well as all of the electrical work on the project. This depth of in-house skill sets is highly unusual.” ~ David Holmes, Algonquin Power
Scope of Work
Cianbro installed a Solar Titan 130 natural gas turbine, Innovative Steam Technologies Steam Generator and associated balance of plant mechanical and electrical systems required for operation.
- Performed temporary design and installation for the existing building foundation stability via sheet pile, crane stability via piles and pile cap, and boiler and turbine generator roll-in support platform
- Mobilized Demag 500 crane on a constrained site with the soleaccess/egress route requiring relocation of utilities and pipe bridge
- Installed steel false-work track assembly
- Drove piled structures adjacent to existing “live” mechanical and electrical systems
- Removed floor slab, performed excavation, installed formwork, reinforced and installed anchor bolts and electrical conduit
- Removed/replaced the modular precast building end wall for major equipment access inside the building
- Erected the four module boiler outside the building, on a raised pile supported structural platform then jacked it up and placed it on rollers and horizontally rigged into the building through a temporarily removed exterior wall, on a custom designed heavy-lift rails, using dual horizontal hydraulic winches
- Performed extensive mechanical piping, wiring, and all connections and terminations respectively for all centerline and major equipment and ancillary supporting systems
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
Due to limited space, Cianbro Temporary Design Engineers developed an innovative solution: Assemble the giant boiler outside the plant, and then roll it into the building on a track system. It's a job that Cianbro was able to self-perform almost exclusively.
2012 ABC Connecticut Best in Show Excellence in Construction Award