Cianbro worked with the University of Maine and the boiler manufacturer to correct issues that arose during construction due to equipment inconsistencies and existing conditions.
Scope of Work
Cianbro installed a new package boiler, gas line and complete controls package. Cianbro integrated the new boiler into the existing steam plant and controls system.
- Installed all equipment including:
- Boiler, steam driven turbine fan, feedwater preheater, economizer and all associated ductwork
- 2,500 lf of piping and associated fittings
- Insulated the steam piping
- Temporary structural supports
- 5,000 lf of conduit, 8,000 lf of wiring, along with Instrumentation, Controls and Lighting
- Monorail over the fan and turbine drive
- Provided start-up, testing, and commissioning support of boiler equipment
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
The location of the new boiler in the existing steam plant required Cianbro to remove a portion of the existing roof to install the new boiler from above, with only a ¼ – inch clearance on all sides. After the new boiler was in place, new piping was installed around the boiler and the roof reinstalled with the addition of an access hatch for the economizer. The overall project included a very tight project site, limited space and close clearances to the existing boilers.