The Construction Manager was URS Corporation.
Scope of Work
The Cianbro/Middlesex Joint Venture Team constructed a new two-track, electrified railroad bascule bridge across the Niantic River 58 ft south of its present location.
- Demolished/removed the existing bridge and associated piers and abutments
- Installed a new reinforced HDPE fender system with eight, 78” diameter by 40’ FRP mono piles and 57, 14” diameter by 40’ FRP piles
- Expanded navigational channel beneath the bridge from 45 to 100 ft and increased the vertical under-clearance above the water from 11.5 to 16 ft
- Constructed in-water cofferdams for 21.5-ft thick tremie footings
- Erected over 1,400 tons of structural steel, including two, 13-ft tall, 106- ton approach girders and two, 141-ton bascule heel girders
- Floated-in the new single leaf bascule span and jacked for placement
- Installed 7,600 ft of overhead 25 kV catenary traction power system
- Installed new electrical control and operating systems and over 90,000 lbs of new operating machinery and supports
- Installed scour protection stone alongside the new precast concrete sheet wall in layers comprised of individual stones from 10 lbs. to 12,000 lbs
- Demolished the existing boardwalk and installed precast concrete T-wall and concrete sheet pile retaining walls, and concrete sidewalk
- Replenished the beach with 76,000 cubic yards of sand
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
This project required in-depth, extensive safety and environmental planning as the entire project was constructed in an environmentally sensitive area surrounded by three freshwater wetlands and two shell fishing areas.
2014 ABC National Excellence in Construction Award
2013 ABC Connecticut Best in Show Excellence in Construction Award