Scope of Work
Cianbro constructed the concrete piers and bascule spans for the Casco Bay Bridge and installed all mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Placed 3,850 CY of concrete in each pier, with six lifts per pier into difficult battered wall formwork
- Cleaned, primed, and performed all steel touch up painting on this 2,000 ton project
- Installed eight, 25 ft tall pinion bearing anchorages in the large grillage for the operating machinery
- Erected (in two pieces) eight, 175 ft long bascule girders weighing 130 tons each, with Cianbro’s barge-mounted 300 ton ringer crane
- Installed 500 tons of structural steel for each of the four leafs which contained over 10,000 high strength bolts
- Installed the main differential reducer with a reduction ratio of 600:1, a dry weight of over 30 tons, and an oil capacity of 1,100 gallons
- Positioned spherical, self-aligning trunion bearings with a solid inner race and split housing
- Installed power and control wiring, equipment, traffic control systems, emergency generator, and lighting package
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
Cianbro completed this project while working over an active shipping channel.